Not feeling motivated?
We have all felt this way at some point in our lives.
You might not feeling like doing anything at all, you don’t feel like getting out of bed in the morning or going to work or even doing the grocery shopping. It might even extend to losing interest in socialising or spending time doing things that you previously enjoyed.
The first step is to understand why this is happening.
It could be that you have been working a lot or have additional stress put on you and are feeling overwhelmed.
Other causes would be certain medical or neurological illness such as brain injury, strokes or Dementia
Certain drugs such as marijuana can cause lack of motivation
Not feeling motivated can also be a symptom of Depression.
As you can see if you’re not motivated your work and social life are affected, you might not perform your best at work, your relationships might become strained and you generally enjoy life less.
Once you can understand the reason that you are feeling this way you want to try and resolve that specific reason.
This could be by seeing a doctor if you feel that you are depressed or suspect a medical illness. In these cases you would have additional symptoms such as tiredness, sleep and appetite changes, reduced memory etc.
If it’s due to drugs you want to get help for that.
Here are a few things that you can do to assist when your motivation is low
1. Don’t wait to feel motivated before you start to do something
2. Take life one day at a time
3. Break your day up and schedule simple tasks every hour
4. Break down projects into small manageable pieces and do them one at a time
5. Reward yourself for every task completed no matter how simple it might be.
6. Add a dose of fun in between the practical activities
7. When thoughts come up about how hard something is or how you dislike an activity, simply observe these thoughts with curiosity and let them pass. See how approaching thoughts in this way affects your next action
Have you had problems motivating yourself? What are some of the things that you have tried to overcome it?
My challenge for you today is to pick one thing from the list above and commit to doing it daily for the next week.
Take care and remember to keep on creating a life of joy that you are meant to be living right NOW.
Dr G Chiba